Cod is one of the most popular fish species widely harvested because of its mild taste, white and flaky flesh. There are so many fish species that come under the Gadus genus. And all of them are considered cod fish, including the Greenland, Pacific, and Atlantic cod varieties.
But so many stores sell some other types of fish named cod that are not within this genus. Cod fish is not promoted as a healthy food, unlike other seafood. But it is beneficial in many ways.
This article is all about cod fish, like – cod fish in Tamil, its nutritional value, cost, types, health benefits of cod fish, availability, etc.
|English name||Cod fish|
|Tamil name||Panna or Kodava|
Cod fish in Tamil name
Panna or Kodava is the Tamil name for cod fish. Suppose you want to get cod fish in India’s rural Tamil-telling areas like Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Telangana, etc. In that case, you can’t make them understand the English name.
You have to use the local name Panna for better communication between you and the local people. But you can use the English name if you are in the township or city area.
Health benefits of cod fish
Consuming cod fish may provide so many potential health benefits. You can get maximum benefits from cod fish by adding it to your regular diet. Some of the benefits are –
- Cod fish may promote a healthy weight.
- Codfish helps to keep your heart healthy.
- Mercury is very dangerous for health. Codfish contains a meagre amount of mercury content.
- Cod liver oil contains concentrated omega – 3 fatty acids and vitamin D. Both components are very helpful in keeping you healthy.
- Codfish helps to regulate blood pressure.
- Codfish helps to prevent cardiovascular diseases.
- Codfish helps to improve brain health.
- Codfish helps to low down cholesterol levels.
- Codfish helps to improve dental and bone health.
Types of cod fish
You can find so many varieties of cod fish with labels because of white, firm, and meaty flesh. But six common and most popular codfishes are –
- Atlantic cod fish ( white fish and scrod fish )
- Pacific cod fish ( True cod, Tara cod, and Grey cod )
- Black cod fish ( Butterfish and Sablefish )
- Rockfish ( Pacific snapper and Rock cod )
- Ling cod ( Bluefish, White cod, and Buffalo cod )
- Pollock cod ( Alaskan Pollock )
Some other cod varieties are – Tadpole cod, Palagic cod, Arctic cod, Eucla cod, Polar cod, Poor cod, Small-headed cod, Saffron cod, Greenland cod, etc.
Nutritional value of cod fish
You can get the nutritional value from 100 grams of cod fish –
|Lipid or fat||0.67 grams|
|Vitamin A||12 micrograms|
|Vitamin B 12||0.91 micrograms|
Cost of cod fish in Tamil areas
The price of cod fish may vary depending on the variety, quality, brand, buying place ( from the local fish shop, online store, or supermarket), and packaging. The average cost of cod fish is around Rs 400 to Rs 750 per kg. You can prefer to buy cod fish from support marts to get some discount.
Side effects of cod fish
As you know, cod fish provides so many beneficial effects, and it is an excellent choice to add this fish to your diet, but it also has some side effects or downsides. Some of them are –
- Cod is a lean fish. So it provides very few omega – 3 fatty acids, unlike fatty fish.
- You should avoid eating raw cod fish because it may contain parasites. It may lead to muscle pain, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, and other unpleasant symptoms.
- May occur some allergies.
Availability of cod fish in Tamil areas
You can find cod fish in the temperate waters of the northern hemisphere. You can get Atlantic cod fishes from the deeper and colder sea waters throughout the Nothern Atlantic. On the other hand, the Pacific cod fish is found in the Pacific Ocean’s western and eastern regions. Norwegian waters are famous for the most extensive cod stock in the world.
Some cod fish recipe photo
The white fish cod lives in the cold water of the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. It has firm flesh with a mild flavour and a flaky and sturdy texture. It can be the best ingredient in fish tacos, stews, and chips. Cod fish is high in selenium, potassium, phosphorus, omega – 3 fatty acids, niacin, iodine, choline, and other essentials for body functions.
This fish species offers numerous health benefits, like – promoting a healthy weight, helping to keep your heart healthy, regulating blood pressure, preventing cardiovascular diseases, improving brain health, improve dental and bone health.
This article is all about cod fish, like – cod fish in Tamil, nutritional value of cod fish, cost, types, health benefits, availability, etc.
Frequently asked questions
1. What are the health benefits of codfish?
1. Cod fish may promote a healthy weight.
2. Codfish helps to keep your heart healthy.
3. Codfish helps to regulate blood pressure.
4. Codfish helps to prevent cardiovascular diseases.
5. Codfish helps to improve brain health.
6. Codfish helps to low down cholesterol levels.
7. Codfish helps to improve dental and bone health.
2. How can you store codfish?
If you buy it from the fish shop, you should keep the cod fish in its original packaging to extend its shelf life. You should remove it from the original packaging just before the cooking procedure. You can store fresh cod for 1 to 2 days by keeping them in the refrigerator. But it is good to cook and consume fresh cod.
3. Is it ok to consume cod fish every day?
Most of the fishes, including codfish, contain mercury. Mercury content is dangerous and may lead to behavioural and neurological issues. It is especially harmful to children and pregnant women. So you should avoid eating cod fish every day. Consuming cod in a moderate amount is beneficial and harmless.
4. How does cod fish help to low down cholesterol levels?
Fishes, including cod, contain high omega-3 fatty acids. Omega – 3 is a vital fatty acid. The human body cannot produce omega – 3 fatty acids on its own. So you have to fulfil the omega – 3 needs in your diet. According to some studies consuming omega – 3 fatty acids help to control and low down the level of bad cholesterol.